Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A coach isn't for everyone

As most of you may (or may not) know, I like to interact with social media sites so I'm sure it comes as no surprise when I tell you this blog was inspired by reading tweets on twitter. The tweet I am speaking of is a quote and comes from a person by the name of Gary Keller. I tried to do my own research of this person but came up with nothing. I guess really it's irrelevant to what I am about to say anyway. The quote however is very relevant. It is 'A coach isn't for everyone-you must RESOLVE to be pushed'.
It ties in with something that a friend of mine has recently said to me. She said 'I didn't see what you did as important. I just thought if you had a problem you worked it out.' What has now happened unfortunately is things in her life have become overwhelming and we have been working through some things together to help her see the little ray of light at the end of the tunnel. It's a step by step process. I keep going back to the old saying 'How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.' And that is exactly how a coach helps their clients get things in order. One step at a time. And is a coach for everyone? Well as Gary Keller says, only if you are ready to move forward. My friend could stay in the past and focus on the hurt or what is now missing or what she used to have, but she is going be brought into the future no matter what. She can either go kicking and screaming and getting dragged there or she can start thinking about what that future might hold for her and start a little bit of dreaming about what she wants it to look like.
I have worked with clients before who I had done pro-bono work with (complimentary sessions, basically). Most of these clients were grateful for those sessions and used them to the make the changes they felt were necessary. I have found though that clients who are paying clients are much more ready to be pushed and ready to move ahead in their lives. You really need to have absolutely had enough of what you have been having, to get to this point though. And truly want something different in your life. Are you sick of lying in bed at night worrying and missing out on sleep? Are you sick of that constant running feeling inside? Do you wish your life was more organised? Do you wish you could lose weight? What is stopping you from just 'working it out'?(quoting my friend). If you want to change something because you know it's just not right or just not working, I would love for you to call. That's what I do! Are you ready to be pushed?

No comments:

Post a Comment