Thursday, January 14, 2010

Grateful for our relationships

I read this quote by one of my friends on Facebook the other day.  It is by Rhondalyn Korolak and she says "We don't fall in love with someone else.....we fall in love with the way we feel about ourselves when that person is around."
It made me stop and think.  To me, that is absolutely true.  For all relationships.  It is about how you feel when you are with that person.  You know, we talk about being around like minded people because you feel good when you are.  It also kind of contradicts the 'living in the present' thing as well.  If you are totally present it shouldn't matter how someone else is as it is only of consequence at the moment it is happening.  So I have to confess.  I'm a little confused.
What I do know is you can enhance relationships by focusing on the good things about someone (or about the situation) or by simply living in the present instead of overthinking or thinking prolongingly about something someone has done or said.  And this is what I choose to do.
I am very grateful for all my relationships, even the ones where I have the most learnings......how grateful are you for your relationships?  When you are lying in bed, preparing for sleep, think of someone who is very special to you.  Think about what you are most grateful for in regards to that person and mentally, say thank you to them.  If it were your family (husband, partner, children, parents etc) what would you mentally say thank you to them for?  What are you most grateful for in regards to that person?  You may, as previously suggested, feel motivated enough to send them a small note or some communication telling them how you appreciate them  Give it a go tonight, before sleep.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic or how you feel after trying this tip.  Look forward to your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment