Friday, October 2, 2009

Is your mind running the show?

Many of us who are completely identified with our mind, feel incomplete. Our unhappiness is driven by our mind telling us over and over again just how incomplete we are.
I will be successful if I have a mansion on the hill. I will be happy when my kids do what I want them to do. I’ll be satisfied when my husband/wife/partner says ‘sorry’ or buys me a particular gift. I will feel fulfilled when I get my next promotion. I’ll be better when this is all over/life is back to normal. Have you heard your mind saying any of these things?
Perhaps some of those things have even happened for you and you experienced feeling success, happiness, fulfilment or better but only briefly. Then it was gone and you were back to being unhappy again. Perhaps the feeling seemed bottomless.
Whilst you allow your mind to feed you these negative random thoughts, this pattern will continue. It’s basically similar to a craving for something. The mind has cravings mostly with external things, possessions and status; things like the assets you have or want, your career, your social life, what you know, how you look, what you can do, your relationships, your history, the list goes on.
None of these things ‘are’ you. They are ‘things’ that your mind identifies with.
By living in the present and switching the mind off when not required for action, you can be happy right now. You have everything you need. You are everything you need; physically and mentally speaking.
For this concept and others relating to living in the present, please refer to ‘The Power of Now’ by Eckhart Tolle.
This is from my my recent newsletter. To sign up for my newsletter, please go to my profile and send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment