Monday, April 11, 2011

Trust Your Body

Today I was watching this little girl running.  She was probably aged about 3, you know that age when they are finding their feet but a trip when running is only seconds away.  And just as I was watching thinking "Don't run, you'll trip!", she started to trip forward.  She didn't actually hit the cement (thank goodness-I wouldn't be able to bear it) but as she tripped, in the blink of an eye, her hands automatically went forward in the position you would need them just before you bit the dust.  I was amazed at the involuntary action of such a young child.  And what that simple action did was right her balance and she ran on with a big smile on her face. 
We were probably all like that once.  Instinctively recovering our balance without thinking about it.  If this happened to me and I actually consciously stopped to think about what I should do, I would be flat on my face in a very undignified position and no doubt blood, sweat and tears before I could make the first thought!  Our bodies hold wisdoms that we can only imagine.  As we get older, we learn to override them with our minds.  Stress and other mental influences also prevent us listening to our body's wisdom.  So the benefits of living in the now also applies to learning to trust our bodies natural reactions as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment